ldapsearch performance debugging

When I execute the following command:

ldapsearch -v -x -b "dc=abmas,dc=biz" -d 5 -h 127.0.0.1

there is a significant lag between hitting return and when I see the debug output - 6-8 seconds.

I'm pretty sure this is a configuration problem or network problem on my end as this same command in a different environment executes immediately.

To help me isolate where the problem is, is there another method to debug what ldapsearch is doing before I see the first lines listed in the debug output with -d 5? Or is there another utility I could use than ldapsearch?

The debug out I see starts with and I want to try and figure out what it happening before this:

[chane@samba ~]$ ldapsearch -v -x -b "dc=abmas,dc=biz" -d 5 -h 127.0.0.1
ldap_initialize( ldap://127.0.0.1 )
ldap_create
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap://127.0.0.1)
ldap_bind
ldap_simple_bind
ldap_sasl_bind
ldap_send_initial_request
ldap_new_connection 1 1 0
ldap_int_open_connection
ldap_connect_to_host: TCP 127.0.0.1:389
ldap_new_socket: 3
ldap_prepare_socket: 3
ldap_connect_to_host: Trying 127.0.0.1:389
ldap_connect_timeout: fd: 3 tm: -1 async: 0
</snip rest of output>

Thanks,
Chris....