Re: bdb backend - reliable or not?

--On Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:49 PM +0200 Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org> wrote:

FRLinux wrote:
On 7/20/06, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org> wrote:
It's hard to do so when you have multiple servers, and don't know which
one had a power outage...

If you don't mind me saying, i thought it was what notification utilities were for (nagios springs to mind ...)

You're missing the point.

In theory, everything of course looks beautiful, or can be set up 100%
reliable.

We use nagios here, what good is it, if you can't connect to the remote
office, because for some reason, DSL line is down because the ISP in that
city sucks?

Yes, we too have a dial-in connection as a backup in most locations, but
the point is, the server *has to* operate correctly once it's powered on,
(almost) no matter why it crashed.

In that case, you *certainly* don't want to be using LDBM, because it'll come back up, but it may be as corrupt as hell. I strongly advise using a current version of OpenLDAP 2.3, which as noted multiple times now, supports auto recovery, and does not necessitate the use of the db_recover command manually (or in a script).

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer