[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Re: slapcat output from 2.0.21 to slapadd to openldap-2.3.24

Yes, I've just setup replication (Redhat7 -> FedoraCore5), and it
seems to work.
I've tested adding a new record into the Redhat7server and changes
were reflected on the FedoraCore5 server. Modifying a record was
replicated over also.

So replication from openldap-2.0.21 -> openldap-2.3.24 works, but the
cautious side of me make me wonder if there are anything else that I
should check to verify that it's everything is working smoothly.

/var/lib/ldap/replica/slurpd.replog looks normal (shows just the
changes I made to the ldap records on the Redhat7 master server).

The only traces of slapd log I see on this old Redhat7 server is in
/var/log/messages "slapd startup succeeded"

I'll change the loglevel and see if I can get slapd to log more info.  thanks.


On 7/19/06, Steven Wong <slqwong@yahoo.com> wrote:


Besides the changed and moved, just I also removed these, just my pref


Then started ldap on master, then started slave... all seems to work..  I
then su to a user, changed passwd on it from master/slave/client ( using it
as a client ), and it all works...   it updated to master, then slurpd sends
it to slaves to be updated soon after...


----- Original Message ---- From: Dennis Misc <dennis.misc@gmail.com> To: Steven Wong <slqwong@yahoo.com> Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 12:41:45 PM Subject: Re: slapcat output from 2.0.21 to slapadd to openldap-2.3.24

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the help.  It's a relief to know that it will work.  Did
you have to clean up the data on the RH7.3 server so that "slapcat"
ouputted a clean LDIF file that can be uploaded to the FC5 server?

Or did replication just work once the data was uploaded to the FC5
server (after reordering and editing the LDIF file.)

Here are a couple of edits on the LDIF file that I had to perform so
that "ldapadd" worked properly:

1. Changed "o: HotCoco.com" to "o: HotCoco",
2. Moved:
dn: o=HotCoco, c=US
o: HotCoco
objectClass: organization
to the top of the file.


On 7/19/06, Steven Wong <slqwong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dennis,
>     you shouldn't have problem with replication.  I actually have it
> between RH7.3 (ldbm) to FC5 (bdb).  Modification of passwd also sync's to
> the slaves on FC5.
> I also hit the same issue you did, with "o."  when I first added all the
> data manually from RH7.3 to FC5 with slapadd or ldapadd.
> Plus any lower level which did not exist before, so I basically had to
> reorder the ldif manually before I was able to run it without errors.  (
> uid=user1,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com )
> Thanks,
> Steven
> ----- Original Message ----
> From: Dennis Misc <dennis.misc@gmail.com>
> To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
> Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 3:43:03 PM
> Subject: slapcat output from 2.0.21 to slapadd to openldap-2.3.24
> Hi,
> I am trying to eventually setup a system where a Redhat 7.0 server
> running OpenLDAP 2.0.21 acts as a replication master to a Fedora Core
> 5 server slave running OpenLDAP-2.3.24.  I've had previous
> correspondence from Howard Chu who says this is possible, so hopefully
> I'll be able to get the system to work.
> First of all, I wanted to see if the LDIF data file dump from the
> Redhat7 server can be uploaded to FedoraCore5.  So I ran slapcat from
> Redhat7 to create the ldif file.  I used slapadd on the FedoraCore5 to
> load the data, and I got this error:
> root@fedora5> /usr/sbin/slapadd -v -l data.ldif
> . . .
> added: "uid=test1,o=HotCoco,c=US" (000002fe)
> added: "uid=faldt,o=HotCoco,c=US" (000005aa)
> slapadd: dn="o=HotCoco,c=US" (line=12151):
> (64) value of naming attribute 'o' is not present in entry
> To debug, I created a smaller file with just the following lines, and used
> ldapadd to import the data instead, which resulted in the same error.
> dn: o=HotCoco, c=US
> o: HotCoco.com
> objectClass: organization
> dn: uid=test1, o=HotCoco, c=US
> uid: test1
> email: test1@aol.com
> firstName: test
> lastName: One
> zipCode: 10000
> age: 2
> gender: M
> objectClass: htcocouser
> -------------------------------------------
> When I changed the "o: HotCoco.com" to "o: HotCoco", the error (value
> of naming attribute 'o' is not present in entry) went away, and
> ldapadd worked.
> Can you please explain why this is the case?
> I read the Faq-o-matic documentation: ldap_add/modify/rename: Naming
> violation
> which didn't explain this particular problem.. (If it did, then sorry
> I missed it, and it probably means that I have more ldap knowledge gap
> that I need to narrow before being able to understand it.)
> Even though I probably can now load all the data into FedoraCore5,
> when I turn on the replication I am afraid that it may not work
> properly as I had to manually edit the ldif file to load the data onto
> the FedoraCore5.
> If import of the data into the FedoraCore5 box with "slapadd -f
> data.ldif" worked without making any changes to the data.ldif file, I
> would have felt a lot better about setting up the Redhat7 ->
> FedoraCore5 replication
> Unfortunately I can't test this as the Redhat7 box is in production..
> so I was hoping to get advice from the openLDAP community.
> Thank you for your help,
> Dmisc