Re: LDBM VS. BDB on OpenBSD 3.9

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Aaron Richton wrote:

> The catch is that, with the possible exception of FreeBSD ports, these
> are all categorized "unofficial" by the vendor/project/upstream entity.
> But I imagine many of these are released in the hope they get feedback,
> and such feedback will go somewhere other than /dev/null. On top of
> that, users of current versions are encouraged to come here anyway. So
> I'm not sure how bad it may or may not be, in practice, to use the
> bleeding edge packages. Does anybody out there actually do this--are
> there war stories?

I can take some credit for FreeBSD, since I keep hassling them :-)

Before 2.3.21 appeared there, they were still on 2.3.11, so I had to learn
how to configure/build from source (an interesting exercise).  I still
won't use their port because it uses BDB 4.3, and I've almost convinced
them otherwise; hopefully the maintainer has been in touch with one of the
developers by now, to confirm my argument.

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 9552-5509 (d) -5500 (sw)
Corinthian Eng'ng P/L, Ste 54 Jones Bay Whf, 26-32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont 2009, AU