Re: LDBM VS. BDB on OpenBSD 3.9

On 5/10/06, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:
I will note, however, that the people responsible for packaging OpenLDAP
for your distribution appear to be woefully behind in their duties, as the
current OpenLDAP release is 2.3.21 (and 2.3.22 will be out in a few days).
I would advise using the latest release of OpenLDAP, as hundreds of bugs,
some critical, have been fixed since 2.3.11 was released.

Yes but ...

As you know the OpenBSD project focuses on security and code audit.
That is for that reason they did not include for instance the pam_ldap
project as part of packages you can install for openldap.

That being said, 2.3.11 has surely been audited and patched to include
a couple of patches. Same reason you have packages freeze on other
distros.

It is easy to tell us to upgrade (and you wouldn't believe how much i
love your software, since all our core services now run on it) but we
do rely on whichever packaging comes with it. I am for instance tied
to FreeBSD for our services and decided to stick to 2.2.x for now
(although our main server will soon be a 2.3 which i installed from
ports).

Steph