Re: LDBM VS. BDB on OpenBSD 3.9

--On Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:10 PM -0400 Aaron Richton <richton@nbcs.rutgers.edu> wrote:

Ok, I'll bite -- which one ?  I can't seem to find anyone with truly
up-to-date OL packages.

I've started taking a hard look at this recently, because we're going to deploy our first live slapd-running Linux boxes relatively soon (a quarter or two). To my surprise (relative to openldap-software conventional wisdom) 2.3.21 packages are easy to come by. So far, I've found:

* Fedora Rawhide
* Gentoo ~x86
* Mandriva Cooker
* FreeBSD ports
* SuSE ftp.suse.com "not official update" (bonus points: 2.4alpha as well)

The catch is that, with the possible exception of FreeBSD ports, these are all categorized "unofficial" by the vendor/project/upstream entity. But I imagine many of these are released in the hope they get feedback, and such feedback will go somewhere other than /dev/null. On top of that, users of current versions are encouraged to come here anyway. So I'm not sure how bad it may or may not be, in practice, to use the bleeding edge packages. Does anybody out there actually do this--are there war stories?

I don't know if it counts as "using" bleeding edge packages, but I tend to build & install the latest versions of OpenLDAP myself and deploy them. So I'm usually on the latest release on my servers. The only time I tend to lag is going between minor versions (2.2 -> 2.3 for example). I think for 2.2 to 2.3, I didn't switch until 2.3.17 or so.

The question that also remains, of course, is how does the distro actually package OpenLDAP. For example, I use SASL/GSSAPI, which means it needs to be compiled against Kerberos libraries in my case. However, if the server is compiled against MIT Kerberos, performance is impacted fairly significantly, which means I only want OpenLDAP compiled against Heimdal. Then, what version of Heimdal are they using? I currently use Heimdal 0.7.2, the latest release... But that may not be available. Etc etc.

I honestly don't know that even after I switch to linux in the next month or two, if I'll ever actually use distro packages.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer