Re: Q: How can I use a different core.schema with 2.3.x?

Kevin Spicer wrote:
On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 14:25 -0500, Mark Swanson wrote:
The problem is that other software allows basic text strings for attributes like telephoneNumber. I can't blame a user for using it as a string if the software lets them. Unless Outlook/cell phones, etc.. force users to use the LDAP syntax users aren't going to do it on their own. Since Outlook/cell phones/etc.. have not forced this behaviour in the past telephoneNumbers will never be in the RFC syntax.

One suggestion, could you create a custom schema that defines those
attributes that you want to deviate from the core, but with a prefix.
e.g. telephoneNumber becomes myTelephoneNumber. You could then (I
think) use the rewrite overlay (slapo-rwm) to map requests for
telephoneNumber to myTelephoneNumber. Note that I've never actually
done this (just trying to throw an idea in), perhaps someone with some
practical experience of the overlay could comment on whether this would
be a practical solution.
Probably not, the front end does normalization of e.g. search filters and other parameters first, before overlays are run.
Defining your own schema is still a viable approach; you just have to reconfigure the client software to use your schema elements.

--
 -- Howard Chu