Re: Q: How can I use a different core.schema with 2.3.x?

Have I missed anything? I hope so because if not I will have to move to
another LDAP server.

Given that what you are talking about is an RFC defined SYNTAX for all LDAP servers, how is moving to a different LDAP server going to help

There are other LDAP servers have the same behaviour as OpenLDAP 2.2.x.

you? The basic problem here is data entry by the users of those devices, it sounds like, rather than a problem with the LDAP server. Of course, user education is one of the hardest things to achieve.

Almost. The problem is that other software allows basic text strings for attributes like telephoneNumber. I can't blame a user for using it as a string if the software lets them. Unless Outlook/cell phones, etc.. force users to use the LDAP syntax users aren't going to do it on their own. Since Outlook/cell phones/etc.. have not forced this behaviour in the past telephoneNumbers will never be in the RFC syntax.

In a nutshell, 2.2.x easily interoperates and can stay in sync with virtually any other system. All one has to do is slightly relax the core schemas to accomodate existing systems. With 2.3.x, full interoperability is impossible.

I humbly urge the OpenLDAP developers to reconsider this restriction and revert to the 2.2 behaviour.

Thank you.

-- Free replacement for Exchange and Outlook (Contacts and Calendar) http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/tg/ WebDAV: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/webDAVDir/4000.ics VFREEBUSY: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/freebusy/4000.ifb