Re: is there any document of the monitor branch ?

Pierangelo Masarati <ando@sys-net.it> writes:

> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 15:17 +0100, Bjørn Ruberg wrote:
> > What are, and what functions have, "Waiters"?
> >
> > (They are typically referred to as "cn={Read,Write}, cn=Waiters,
> > cn=Monitor".)
>
> This should actually move under the "cn=Connections,cn=Monitor" branch;
> it is the number of connections that are waiting to read or write data.

Could you please elaborate?

Are these comparable to let's say Apache's children servers, i.e. how
many requests OpenLDAP may handle concurrently?

Or are they "internal" handlers between the network socket and the
database backend, increasing the number whenever something happens?

And is there any limit on the number of waiters?

I ask because I am trying to understand their purpose, how (and if)
they adjust themselves when necessary, and/or whether there's a point
in graphing these numbers.

It's obvious that they change over time, and also somewhat related to
the activity on the OpenLDAP server:

<URL:http://www.ruberg.no/openldap/>

The legends on the graphs are not descriptive enough (yet), and this
system is not under significant load:

 $ ldapsearch -LLL -x -s one -b "cn=Waiters,cn=monitor" monitorCounter

 dn: cn=Write,cn=Waiters,cn=Monitor
 monitorCounter: 0

 dn: cn=Read,cn=Waiters,cn=Monitor
 monitorCounter: 1