Re: Connections timing out to OpenLDAP server

On 8/19/05, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:

> > Ah.  The only thing I'm setting from those options is several "index"
> > entries.  Anything in particular you recommend I experiment with?
>
> cachesize and idlcachesize

We only have ~1300 entries in our database, so I left cachesize at the
default (1000) and set idlcachesize to 200.  It'll be interesting to
see how that changes things.

> >> I also don't see your DB_CONFIG file anywhere here...
> >
> > I didn't know it existed before today.  As I haven't manipulated it,
> > it's at the (Debian) defaults.  The only values it appears the Debian
> > maintainer manipulated are these ones:
> >
> > set_cachesize   0       2097152
> > set_lg_bsize    524288
> > set_lk_max_objects      5000
> > set_lk_max_locks        5000
> > set_lk_max_lockers      5000
>
> The first line doesn't even look valid, as it is supposed to be a triplet.
> But perhaps the third triplet has a default.

No; I missed it when I was copying it in here.

> I will note that your BDB cache is currently set to 2MB, which is
> *extremely small*.

That does seem small, but after reading the documentation you linked
to and playing with db_stat, it appears we were getting 85% to 97%
cache hits, depending on the attribute.

In the name of experimentation, I doubled it to 4MB.  I'm going to
spend some time reading about the bdb tweaks and see what I can
optimize.  However, since our database is so very small, I'm not
expecting dramatic changes...

Thanks!

-Ben