Connections timing out to OpenLDAP server

I'm using OpenLDAP 2.2.26 on Debian to authenticate SMTP and POP/IMAP
clients.  Intermittently both the SMTP and POP/IMAP server will begin
reporting errors indicating they are unable to bind to the LDAP
server.  These episodes have lasted as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The logs on the directory server do not show any errors from slapd.

Any clues on where I should begin troubleshooting?  These devices are
on the same switch and there are no other indications of connectivity
problems, so I think network issues can be eliminated.

Thanks!