Re: Connections timing out to OpenLDAP server

At 02:32 AM 8/19/2005, vincent wrote:
>Could you tell us which smtp/pop server  are you using?

Given the list charter, this question is out-of-place.  Any
discussion of the particular SMTP/POP server should be taken
to lists supporting those client.  Given the Ben has stated
that ldapsearch(1) hangs as well, it's now quite clear the
problem is not specific to the particular SMTP/POP server
or the other client in use.  Hence, its clear, that the
answer to your question is not relevant.  Ben should avoid
providing the answer, to avoid introducing off-topic
discussions into this thread.

Of course, the problem still may have very little to do
with OpenLDAP Software.  Likely some network service, like
DNS, is temporarily unavailable.  Unless OpenLDAP Software
diagnostics provide some hint as to the problem, Ben will
have to use other tools (such as ping, dig, etc.) to
attempt to isolate the problem.

Ben, did ldapsearch(1) report anything before, during,
after the hang that might indicate what the problem is?
At what point did it hang?  (use -v and/or -d -1 to gain
additional information).

You should attempt other services, such as ssh(1) between
the hosts during the hang.  If anything else hangs, the
problem is likely not specific to OpenLDAP Software.

Kurt