Re: 2 GB filesize limit

Howard Chu wanted us to know:

>Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>> You may also split the database in smaller bits, unless it has to be
>> exactly one naming context (I don't recall if 2.1 already had the
>> glue capability).
>Yes, glue in 2.1 was the groundwork for overlays in 2.2.
>>> Gentoo with a 2.6.5 kernel, glibc 2.3.3, openldap 2.1.30.  It's
>>> doing this on 4 identical systems and 1 with a 2.6.9 kernel, so my
>>> configuration is somehow very wrong.
>>> System setup:  admin1 is the master and replicates out to ldap1 and
>>>  ldap2.  Directory listings are at the end of the email.
>>> Last night, an ldap server died with the (non-exact) error unable
>>> to write to gdbm.  The id2entry.gdbm file was a byte below 2 Gigs.
>>> In subsequent testing with dd, I cannot create a file bigger than
>>> 2*1024*1024*1024 bytes.  Could someone please verify that: a) I
>>> need to rebuild something like glibc. b) I do not need to rebuild
>>> openldap.

I think the 2 GB file limitation was a red herring.  Part of the problem
was my own impatience.  Had I been more patient, I would have seen that
I could in fact make a file bigger than 2 GB.  It just took an extra 90
seconds or so to get from 2 GB to 2.5 GB.  Dunno why exactly.  I have
one slave using ext3 and the other slave using xfs.  Will see if either
or both come up with a problem again.

Thank you for all the feedback thusfar.
Regards...		Todd
  We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.
  Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy.  Where it is easy,
  it's called a police state.             -- Jeff Schiller on NANOG
Linux kernel 2.6.11-6mdksmp   2 users,  load average: 1.07, 1.18, 1.06