Re: Deletions not propagating in multi-hop syncRepl environment

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Howard Chu wrote:

> >  Probably irrelevant (to us) now, as I pointed out to Quanah.
>
> Mostly irrelevant in general, I think. As I've noted a number of times
> on this list, the 2.2 syncrepl provider code is dead, for reasons like
> this and a few others. The 2.3 code is completely different.

Yeah, I had a look; even slapd.conf has changed.

On the way home, I thought I figured out why the test works and real-life
fails (I get my best ideas on the train).  The test suite does the
deletion as part of "ldapmodify" along with other operations, so I
reproduced that.

And...  no, still no propagation of deletions beyond the middle stage, so
whatever I'm doing is subtly different from the test suite.

And not worth pursuing...  In the time I've spent so far, I could've
merely changed the replication agreements (and no, I'm not complaining)
but I figured I'd further the bounds of knowledge and all that.

[ ... ]

> If you actually want to put syncrepl to use, you should be using
> OpenLDAP 2.3. Even if you don't want to use syncrepl, you're still
> better off using 2.3 because the code separation means you won't be
> paying the performance cost for a feature you're not using.

I'll see if I can get my boss(es) to agree to that, as it's still Beta,
and you've already indicated that SLURP may be phased out in favour of
SyncRepl in 2.3.

Thanks for your input.

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 8425-5508 (d) -5500 (sw)
Corinthian Engineering, Level 1, 401 Pacific Hwy, Artarmon, NSW 2064, Australia