Re: Microsoft attribute-syntax (and other) OID equivalents in OpenLDAP

At 07:27 PM 4/23/2005, Safdar Kureishy wrote:
>I have 2 questions:
>
>1) Would anyone know the OID mappings in OpenLDAP for all the
>attribute syntax definitions (OIDs) in Microsoft Active Directory
>schema?

OIDs identify unique syntaxes with unique properties.  One
cannot generally "map" one to another without some ill
behavior.  Each syntax, and each associated matching rules,
has to be implemented in the server.

>For instance, what would the equivalent OID be in OpenLDAP for
>Microsoft's "1.2.840.113556.1.4.906" attribute syntax OID?

1.2.840.113556.1.4.906 (if it were supported).

># Microsoft attribute:
>attributetype ( 1.2.840.113556.1.4.13
>        NAME 'builtinCreationTime'
>        SYNTAX '1.2.840.113556.1.4.906'
>        SINGLE-VALUE )
>
>I get an error stating: "microsoft.schema: line 21: Syntax not found:
>"1.2.840.113556.1.4.906" when I try to launch the server using this
>schema file.

Correct, the syntax identified by this OID is not implemented in
slapd(8)

>Is there any paper or web-site where ALL the equivalencies are listed?

Each syntax, I would hope, would be distinct and hence not
equivalent to any other syntax. That is, list of equivalencies
should be empty.

>The reason I ask is because I'm trying to use the *informational*
>microsoft schema files that are included with the OpenLDAP
>installation and convert them into real working schema files for
>OpenLDAP.

Likely cannot be done, in a "real working" way, without implementation
of Microsoft-specific syntaxes and matching rules.

>2) Alternatively is there any OID "definitions package" that one can
>"include" into OpenLDAP that has the syntax definitions for all the
>microsoft OIDs and that allows OpenLDAP to then recognize those OIDs
>when encountered in the schema?

As noted above, "recognize" implies code to support the syntax.
There is no way to "include" support for syntaxes via slapd.conf(5).

Kurt