Re: Deleting+Adding data while server is running

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 21:31 -0700, Safdar Kureishy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a situation where I want to drop all the data within an
> OpenLDAP server and then do a massive batch import while the server is
> still running. I've run into the problem where if I invoke slapadd,
> the server needs to be shutdown, but am not sure if this is a
> necessity or that I may be doing something wrong.

what does keeping the server running gain for you if you are deleting
all the entries? Adding large amounts of data to a running server is
never going to be quick - the directory is optimised for read, not
write.

> So, my questions are:
> 1) Firstly, what is the best way of doing this (full delete + import)
> so that the performance is optimal?

shutdown the server.

> 2) What is the optimal way of doing this if I want the server to be
> running throughout?

You can turn off transaction logging but that would have to be permanent
(DB_CONFIG is only read on startup I believe). Then you would still have
to use ldapmodify

> 3) What is the performance impact of the above approaches (if different)?

try it.

--
Greg Matthews
iTSS Wallingford        01491 692445