RE: 2.2.23 vs 2.3.1alpha speed compairisons

--On Monday, February 21, 2005 8:44 PM -0500 Samuel Tran <stran@amnh.org> wrote:

If you have 4,000 entries, why would you try and cache 100,000?  You're
never going to fill that.  I also don't see any idlcachesize setting

Should I set cachesize to the size of my directory, ie 4,000 ? Ok. I forgot idlcachesize. I am not sure what size I should use here.

For the cachesize, I'd do your size + a few for growth? ;) Maybe 4400 or something.

The idlcachesize is explained here:

Basically it is a cache of the result set for a given query, so it will fill up with the most commonly requested searches.

Also, is the 350 queries/second from a single process doing the query,
or  multiple processes?  A single process querying will never give you
the full  results of the servers performance.

No each query is done by a single process.

Ah, then the result you are seeing isn't really a mark of how well the server performs overall then. ;) In fact, the rate in this case could be limited by how fast they querying process can perform, and not the server. ;)

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer
ITSS/Shared Services
Stanford University