Re: Database corruption?

tir, 21.09.2004 kl. 02.01 skrev Adnan H Yusuf:

> I'm using OpenLDAP 2.1.29-1 on two Fedora Core 2 boxes: the second one is a
> slave to the first one. This was running fine for weeks without any problems
> until yesterday: suddenly samba (which uses the LDAP backend for
> authentication) started complaining of failing to bind to the LDAP server. I
> tried restarting the server, the box, and everything seemed to be fine
> except that slapd will not respond to anything. Even a simple slapcat hangs
> the console, and the log only shows 'Initializing BDB database'.
>
> I finally stopped slapd, removed the /var/lib/ldap directory and restarted.
> This time everything seemed fine although the directory was empty. I then
> added all records from a previous LDIF dump and everything has been running
> smoothly ever since.
>
> I haven't been able to replicate the problem, and the logs report nothing
> out of the ordinary except for Samba suddenly starting to freak out.
>
> I realize it's very difficult to even guess what the problems might be from
> this, but I'm hoping someone else may have faced the same issue?

In my experience BDB 4.1 has always been subject to "spontaneous"
corruption: Instead of doing what you did (drastic to say the least) you
could have run 'db_recover -c' (or db_recover-4.1 or whatever it is on
your Fedora box) after stopping the server. That would have got you your
database back again.

Only at OL 2.2>~14 and patched BDB 4.2.52 have I experienced total
absence of corruption over extended periods (months).

--Tonni

--

... I may go out tonight if I can borrow a coat to wear ...
... it's just amazing how fair people can be ...

mail: tonye@billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nlThey love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they,