Re: BINDDN in ldap.conf

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 13:38, Howard Chu wrote:

> Anyone who's been watching this list for more than a few weeks should by
> now realize that what Red Hat does with OpenLDAP in no way resembles
> what a competent OpenLDAP administrator would do. The fact that they
> blithely mix non-OpenLDAP config directives with OpenLDAP software is an
> issue for you to take up with them, it's not under our control. One
> might make a case that the OpenLDAP Foundation should take an interest
> in what other organizations are doing with OpenLDAP software, insofar as
> poorly packaged distributions reflect poorly on the Foundation even
> though the Foundation was not responsible for creating the packages in
> question. But that's fodder for a separate discussion.
---
extremely valid issue - I couldn't find a RFE label on
bugzilla.redhat.com to ask them to upgrade openldap on RH AS 3 (and this
would obviously beg for other upgrades as well) so I didn't put it in.
---

> > Thank you for this discussion as it has clarified some issues for me and
> > I appeal to Kurt and Howard to look gently towards those of us who are
> > ignorant and yet eager to do things right.
>
> I hear what you're saying. Everyone has to start somewhere. But people
> who blame their troubles on poor documentation should suggest how to fix
> it. This is what's commonly called "constructive criticism" and it's a
> major force in improving any project.
>
> People who blame their problems on missing information, when the info is
> in fact present, really have only themselves to blame.
---
I have never suggested that there is a lack of documentation - I
purchased Gerry Carter's book and got it working well enough for my
needs - asked and received enough help to clarify ACL's and have
monitored this list for the past 8 months just to learn.

Thanks for your efforts.

Craig