Re: BINDDN in ldap.conf

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 02:13, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> fre, 23.07.2004 kl. 21.02 skrev Howard Chu:
>
> > And prior to that, it describes the difference between system-wide and
> > user config files.
>
> Thanks :) "'man ldapconf', search for user" would have been sufficient.
>
> > No amount of documentation will make up for people who don't read it,
> > and people who skim are more likely to miss even more as the volume of
> > documentation increases.
---
you are assuming that those who read that, understood what the context
of 'user' was - I most assuredly did not until now. Unfortunately, many
of use don't come from UNIX backgrounds and though pick up on many
things, some things which seem basic to you guys elude us for some time.

I am one of those idiots that never understood that BINDPW in ldap.conf
didn't work. In fact, the default /etc/ldap.conf on every Red Hat system
that I have looked at actually references the variable - which leads the
unwashed like me to believe that it might actually work. I don't know if
that variable comes from (or came from) the openldap client
/openldap.com but I would bet that it does.

Thank you for this discussion as it has clarified some issues for me and
I appeal to Kurt and Howard to look gently towards those of us who are
ignorant and yet eager to do things right.

Craig