RE: server side sorting & paging?

If that's the best example you can come up with, it's still not very
compelling. Since your requirements are so simple and well defined, there's a
very simple solution. If you want one user-interface page per letter, issue a
search with an appropriate filter, e.g.
  (sn=A*)
to populate your 'A' page, etc. etc...

> What bothers me isnt that OpenLdap doesnt support sorting of
> search results,
> but that its not even on the roadmap for any future versions. Surely
> server-side sorting of results is quite a high priority requirement?

I believe LDAP is intended to be a large-scale distributed information
storage/retrieval mechanism. I don't believe it is an individual client
presentation system. One might as well complain that NFS doesn't sort
remote-mounted filesystem directories before presenting them to your
command-line shell. That's not the server's job, that is the user-interface's
job.

  -- Howard Chu