Its a real requirement for my application, and you appear to have missed the
The filter you suggested is already in use to retreive all the Users
beginning with a
given letter.

The crux of the problem is: If I have 1000 results for "A" and I want
to display these in alphabetical order 1 page at a time- currently I have
to sort ALL the results IN MEMORY before retreiving only ONE PAGE from the
things I just sorted. OK?

>>I believe LDAP is intended to be a large-scale distributed information
>>storage/retrieval mechanism.
And as such I would expect it to return results from a query in some sort
of clearly defined order. It doesnt.

How is it OpenLDAP does not support Server-side sorting and yet other LDAP
do? Are you saying companies such as IBM and Sun have gotten it all wrong?

I take it from your postings that even if someone did go to the trouble to
write a decent patch
for server side sorting that you would not include it in any future version
of OpenLDAP?