RE: server side sorting & paging?

Do the underlying databases used by OpenLDAP not support index ordered
retrieval?

All this functional delimiting and performance stuff is unimportant if the
database itself keeps the data indexed properly.  I mean, why would you want to
order the data when you need to read it?  That simply doesn't scale well on
either the client or the server... why not order it when you write it?

OK. Maybe I'm just an idiot... I haven't written a large database manager in
more than a decade, and never in C (I wrote the taxonomic database system for
the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, and the Malacology collection
data  management system for their extremely large shell collection, sometime in
the late 80s - early 90s).  But this seems like a DBM issue to me and not a
retrieval protocol (ldaP) issue.

Thank you, Howard, for pointing out the (obvious in retrospect) filtering
trick.  And thanks, Kurt & Ace, for pointing out the 3-character thing... I had
assumed that was somehow my own fault when I started getting user reports of
that behaviour years ago.

--Charlie