LDAPI documentation (was Re: Graphical LDAP clients with SASL support)

On Sunday 07 March 2004 05:46, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> phpLDAPadmin isn't utter crap. I'm sorry if I gave
> that impression. Moreover, as Dieter points out, PHP
> - at least PHP 4 - does in fact support ldapi, which
> invalidates much of what I wrote. Use of ldapi on
> localhost ensures that no password can be sniffed,
> and gives a real performance boost.

What's a good source of documentation on ldap and unix
domain sockets?  I see it mentioned, but only briefly
in the slapd man page.

I find only one mention of ldapi in the OpenLDAP
Administrator's Guide and it's not explanatory.

I find no mention of it at all in the FAQ-O-Matic, and
no explanatory mentions of it by searching the list
archives.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and thanks very
kindly for all the responses in this thread thus far.

-Kevin