Re: Remapping user info per-system?

At 2004-02-23T19:17:10Z, Tony Earnshaw <tonye@billy.demon.nl> writes:

> Let's take that right back to "proof of concept". If a Posix UID logs in,
> he usually gets confronted with a .profile, right? That .profile he has to
> go through to be able to log in.
>
> Now the great test: Can you adapt that .profile to do what you want? I
> can.

So, you're suggesting that I set everyone's shell to /bin/sh and use their
.profile to locate and execute their real preferred shell?  That's an
interesting idea that I hadn't considered.

> With apologies to the denizens for the fact that this has *nothing* to do
> with Openldap and has not been cross-posted to any other list, on which it
> better can be answered.

I take exception to that.  OpenLDAP is the application that serves this
information to client machines.  Althought my knowledge of LDAP is far from
encyclopedic, I'm unaware of any standardized, portable mechanism for doing
this sort of thing.  Therefore, I was asking if the OpenLDAP server on my
system was had this functionality, and if so, what is was called so that I
could do further research on my own.  This seemed to fit the charter of this
mailing list exactly, so I posted it here.  If I was wrong, I apologize, but
I don't see how asking an OpenLDAP-specific question on the mailing list
meant for OpenLDAP-specific questions was incorrect.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.