Re: Has anyone found a workaround? SASL/LDAP

On 5 October 2003, Tony Earnshaw <tonni@billy.demon.nl> wrote:
> Liviu Daia wrote:
>
> >>Postfix has its own SASL implementation for SMTP AUTH (I use SASL
> >>auxprop libs rather than saslauthd).
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >     No, Tony.  As I pointed out on the postfix-users list, Courier
> > has its own SASL implementation, Postfix doesn't (although some
> > people believe that it should).
>
> Hmmm ... now I'm completely lost. Yes, you were one of the two
> experts.
>
> Why do I have to declare SASL and give paths to SASL includes and libs
> to my Postfix compile then? And why, then, does my Postfix use SASL
> support that was compiled in because it's supposed to?

    [* Sigh *] You _are_ confused.  Like OpenLDAP, Postfix doesn't
have its own SASL functions, it only has "hooks" for an external SASL
library, namely the one from Cyrus.  To compile Postfix (or OpenLDAP)
with SASL support, you need to tell it where to find Cyrus SASL.

> What the !#%/@= does Courier have to do with this?

    Nothing.  I was just recalling the context of the thread from
postfix-users.

> O.k., so I'm using Courier, but I have no SASL declaration in my
> Courier compile.

    Yes, because Courier has its own SASL functions, it doesn't need an
external SASL library.  Unlike Postfix and OpenLDAP, you can't compile
Courier without SASL, which is why you don't have a knob to enable or
disable it at compile time (you can however disable SASL for POP3 at run
time).  You also don't need a *.conf file in /usr/lib/sasl2 (or wherever
it lives on your computer) as you would have had with Cyrus SASL, since
Courier automatically selects the mechanism to use.

> I do not use SASL with Courier, my Courier 2.1.2 does not understand
> SASL.

    It does.  You just don't know that.

> This is *wildly* OT and has nothing to do with Openldap. Next week I
> shall find out for myself.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--