RE: OpenLDAP compared to ...

Norbert's paper is a good one, I refer to it frequently. Some conclusions are
a bit out of date. All of the suggestions regarding how to implement
SASL/EXTERNAL in OpenLDAP are completed. Symas has been using an X.509
Certificate Authority embedded in slapd since 1999 (it is one component of
Connexitor). A lot has changed since the 2.0.7 OpenLDAP release that Norbert
wrote about. (And a great deal of the documentation has been updated to
reflect these changes, although the docs still lag behind the code.) It would
be interesting to see how the benchmark results looked today.

  -- Howard Chu