queries from other nodes hang (sometimes)

Hello,

I'm running OpenLDAP with nss_ldap and pam_ldap configured for
passwd/group lookups (RH7.1 on Alpha, openldap 2.1.4).

Things mostly work, but doing a query with a simple bind from a remote
machine will hang.  Queries requiring SASL authentication don't hang.

'ldapsearch -x' will print out all the query results, but then hang at
the point where it would normally print:

# search result
search: 5
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 200
# numEntries: 199

Other lookups also hang, including stuff from pam_ldap.so: 'su', 'rsh',
etc.

In all cases strace shows:
read(3,

on the socket waiting for more results from the server indefinitely.

Now the really weird part:  when I run slapd in debug mode, none of
these problems occur.  All queries and pam_ldap stuff goes right
through.

Does anyone know what might be going on, or have useful debugging
ideas?  I can't debug the problem running slapd in debug mode, but I can
hike up the slapd loglevel to any degree.

Thanks for any help,

--Josh
Josh England
Sandia National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
Distributed Information Systems
email: jjengla@sandia.gov
phone: (925) 294-2076