entering RDN's with special characters

I'm trying to import /etc data into OpenLDAP for nssldap.  While importing
the /etc/services data into the directory, I ran into problems with services
that contain special characters ( ie whois++ ).  What is the proper way to
escape these characters in an ldif file for import?  I tried backslashes (
such as dn: cn=whois\+\+,dc=...),  this worked but I'm not sure if its
correct.  Searches with ldapsearch return the backslashes, which I would
expect since its supposed to generate an LDIF file that can be used for
import, but the diagnostic messages also show the backslashes.  This makes
me wonder if I've done it right.

Thanks
Chris Audley