using UTF-8 in openldap 2.0.7

Hello openldap-software,

I have a problem importing LDIF files containing German Umlauts.
Starting with an iso8859-1 (latin1) encoded file, I used the
"recode" program to convert the data into the UTF-8 format:

---------- snip ----------
$ recode l1..u8 mydata.ldif
---------- snip ----------

After that, trying to import the converted LDIF-file using ldapadd,
I got the following message:

   containing programs and scripts to convert between latin1 and
   utf8. I compared their results to that of recode and found out
   they all produce exactly the same output as recode.

-> browsing those messages I take it that I have to use UTF-8 encoded
   LDIF data. However, if I use latin1-encoded data, ldapadd will take
   it without any complaints, while it produces the above error message
   when using UTF-8 encoded data.

-> since those discussions were mostly from 1998, I suppose this task
   should not be a problem...

I am using openldap 2.0.7 - I tried the percompiled version from the
SuSE 7.1 distribution as well as compiling the source code myself.
The results were always the same :-(

What am I doing wrong?
Suggestions, comments or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,

Stephan Cremer.