Re: replication question

At 11:41 AM 2/15/01 -0500, Bennett Samowich wrote:
>Greets,
>
>I just go replication working between a master directory and two slave
>directories.  Any changes to the master get sent to the slaves... great.
>Now for the "dumb" question - it looks like all changes must be made on the
>master.  Is that correct?

Yes.  The master is the source of authority.  The slave only
holds a copy.

>Now for the "maybe it isn't so dumb" question - We create slave for
>redundancy, right?

read redundancy, not write.  The LDAP/X.500 data model does not
support multiple master architectures.

>If applications that update the directory are pointed to
>ldap.domain.com which resolves to any of the addresses, what happens (or is
>suppose to happen) if someone makes a change on a slave?

If a client send an update request to a slave, the slave should
(if properly configured) refer the client to the master.   The
client then needs to chase this referral to complete the operation.

Kurt