Re: default database?

At 02:42 PM 7/11/00 -0400, Stu wrote:
>I am configuring an new instance of slapd. What I want to have happen is
>that when someone searches w/out specifying which container

Any DN may be a container (even the empty DN).

>, they by
>default search on a particular Organization and Organizational Unit. I
>have set up a config file specifying a suffix as follows:
>
>suffix          "ou=MG, o=BWC"

This tells the server where to root the tree.  Clients must be
separately configured where to search (which may or may not be
the same as the root of a particular tree).

>But when I connect for a search, I still need to change my Search Base.

In your client, yes.

>Is there any way to default to the search base specified in the suffix.
>(I have tried removing the double-quotes, to no avail.)

OpenLDAP clients use a defaulting mechanism described in ldap.conf(5).
Other clients have their own mechanisms.