Re: LDAP properties in Netscape

Mark Smith wrote:

> Michael Ströder wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately the Netscape folks messed up generating the LDAP-URLs in
> > the address book. The LDAP-URL you mentioned above is URL-encoded but
> > Navigator itself seems to expect LDAP-URLs to be not encoded, like
> >
> >   ldap://ldap/cn=User Name,o=Organization,c=US
>
> I've never seen this problem.  I don't work on Navigator,

And maybe all Navigator programmers don't see it because no non-USASCII
characters appear in U.S. attributes.

I reported this bug several times in the netscape.directory.*
newsgroups. Other european people (french, scandinavian, spanish) did
complain about it there, too. But no change since 4.5 => I gave up.

> but escaped
> characters are interpreted correctly within some LDAP URLs at least.

No, they are definitely not handled correctly. If I type the german
umlauts directly with the URL the entry is found. If I have an encoded
german umlaut the entry is "Not found". And the irony is that this
worked perfectly until NS Communicator 4.08 (which does not produce
encoded URLs).

> For example, this URL works correctly:
>
>   ldap://ldap.itd.umich.edu/o%3Duniversity%20of%20michigan%2cc%3DUS

This LDAP-URL does not contain any non-USASCII characters. Please read
again my message.

> What does the LDAP server's access log show?

Wrong characters (not UTF-8) for the german umlauts in the filter
string.

Ciao, Michael.