Re: I'm a newbie. Where can I learn more?

Hi

( 00.06.12 22:15 -0400 ) Chris G. Sellers:
> Novell.  Their NDS is the father of directories.  U-M has some good stuff
> too...

Um, Honeywell [or wherever X.500 was developed] is the *real* Abraham.

> > I'm new to directory services (but not to computers and networking).  I
> > know what a directory is but that's about all.
> > I would like to install directory services at
> > my company to help ease support.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I'd say a good start is to get the openLDAP sources, compile them, and
start working with it. If you have the time, give your self a month to
play and figure out how things work before you deploy. Even if you don't
have the time, I'd suggest you create and destroy your directory at
least 3 times before you deploy. You may be chortling, but you will be
in much better shape a year from now that if you just jump right in.

bonne chance!

--
\js