Re: unified login (unix + windows)

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 01:40:30PM -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
> is official, there you go.  Problem is that Samba will need
> the LanMan/NT password hash regardless of the userPassword
> representation you use for Unix clients.  I have no work
> around for this at the moment.  Storing the plain text
> would work, but then I'm not really fond of that. :-)

Why don't you want to store plain text passwords if you are willing
to store the LanMan/NT hashes? They are equivalent from a security
point, are they not?

The commercial LDAP vendors have replication tools between the PDC
and the LDAP directory. Check for example Netscapes Directory Server
(whatever netscape is called now).

Some LDAP vendors have new DLLs to login via LDAP instead of the PDC/BDC.
I think slapd (www.slapd.com) has that.

Then there is KerbNet from Cygnus (now Red Hat) that might work. I don't
know if it is availible at Red Hat's site, it has become quite impossible
to find things there with all their broken links and confusing structure.
I've not looked at it at all (only read the pressrelease) so it might just
allow for the old kerberos services (kftp, ktelnet etc.).

/Sebastian