Re: OpenLDAP, Netscape and Linux

Hello,

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
>
> > At 06:10 PM 11/16/99 +0100, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> > >I've been using Netscape with slapd on a network of Linux boxes, with
> > >some problems. I remember Netscape raising a number of errors now
> > >and then when using slapd as directory server. I never had any chance
> > >of checking whether it works with Netscape DS.
> >
> > I would suggest you determine if the problems are primarily
> > related to the Netscape client or the OpenLDAP server.  If you
> > can duplicate them using command line tools, then that's a good
> > indication that the problems are with the OpenLDAP server.
>
> No, the point is that other clients work pretty well, I never noticed
> any failure when using OpenLDAP command line clients or other
> applications linked to the OpenLDAP library (e.g. sendmail);
> I'm confident the problem is on the Netscape side; I was wondering
> if it is related to some Netscape internal problem, in which case
> a Netscape forum would surely be more appropriate, or to some
> incompatibility between OpenLDAP server and Netscape client
> libraries, in which case the problem would be of some interest also
> for OpenLDAP, to trace such incompatibilities; in fact I think Netscape
> is likely to be a very important client for any directory server.

I have encountered the same problem using Netscape and OpenLDAP, but
only
when I start Netscape though the 'Netscape' button which is provided by
KDE
on the same machine.
When I start Netscape from the shell or from an other machine everything
works
fine. Commandline tools work fine also.
This workaround works for me, so I did not look into this any deeper.

> > Kurt
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> Pierangelo

Peter