Re: OpenLDAP, Netscape and Linux

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> At 06:10 PM 11/16/99 +0100, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> >I've been using Netscape with slapd on a network of Linux boxes, with
> >some problems. I remember Netscape raising a number of errors now
> >and then when using slapd as directory server. I never had any chance
> >of checking whether it works with Netscape DS.
>
> I would suggest you determine if the problems are primarily
> related to the Netscape client or the OpenLDAP server.  If you
> can duplicate them using command line tools, then that's a good
> indication that the problems are with the OpenLDAP server.

No, the point is that other clients work pretty well, I never noticed
any failure when using OpenLDAP command line clients or other
applications linked to the OpenLDAP library (e.g. sendmail);
I'm confident the problem is on the Netscape side; I was wondering
if it is related to some Netscape internal problem, in which case
a Netscape forum would surely be more appropriate, or to some
incompatibility between OpenLDAP server and Netscape client
libraries, in which case the problem would be of some interest also
for OpenLDAP, to trace such incompatibilities; in fact I think Netscape
is likely to be a very important client for any directory server.

> I then suggest you take each problem to the appropriate forum.
> For OpenLDAP, please use our software mailing list to get OpenLDAP
> software issues resolved.   For Netscape, use their newsgroups/mailing
> lists.

Sure I will. But I haven't found any notice of such problem in any list.

> >Another problem is that the URL
> >
> >        ldap:///mysuffix
> >
> >which should be legal,
>
> Yes, "if no hostport is given, the client must have some apriori
> knowledge of an appropriate LDAP server to contact."

OK. I will check Netscape bug reporting lists.

> Kurt

Thanks anyway.

Pierangelo

http://www.sys-net.it