[Date Prev][Date Next]
Re: ITS review 9/29/2017
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: ITS review 9/29/2017
- From: Hallvard Breien Furuseth <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 01:50:00 +0200
- Content-language: en-US
- In-reply-to: <59050532A93985750DED8AE4@[192.168.1.30]>
- References: <5FB136BF2A2FBB917F7F7F33@[192.168.1.30]> <WMfirstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <364C51AA6009D630F4D4CEDC@[192.168.1.30]> <WMfirstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <59050532A93985750DED8AE4@[192.168.1.30]>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.3.0
On 06/10/17 23:24, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Friday, October 06, 2017 10:16 PM +0100 Howard Chu
its7442 - Add debug statements when index_intlen values are out of
Well, the man page is not clear on this point. I'm fine dropping the
debug statements, but what about the manpage updates which clarify the
min/max allowed values?
Then we should also document all the other places where for example our
integers accept a max value of 4294967295 or 18446744073709551615 too?
It's stupid. Nobody is using 256 byte integers. Nobody is using integers
bigger than 256 bytes. (Come on, 2^2048? really?) It's a limit that no
one will ever hit in practice.
Well, I can certainly see why someone might expect they could set the
minimum lower than 4 (even if that would be less than optimal). ;)
I.e., you're focussed on maxsize, but the report covers both min &
max. Any reason not to document that the default value of 4 is also
the minimum allowed? I'm fine with dropping the patch as well.
II like the original patch: Don't _silently_ change the user's config,
report the changes.
Document "4 is default and minimum value".
The max - I suppose it fell out of the implementation somewhere.
Don't lock us to that implementation. If it's even true - there's a
char ibuf in integerIndexer(), so maybe the 255 should be 64.
Haven't looked closely. Anyway, remember keys of large integers get
a floating format. Max integer _value_ is only limited by supported
attribute value size.