Re: commit: ldap/servers/slapd config.c

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Howard Chu writes:
Michael Ströder wrote:
Yepp. The parameter's prefix should be prepended with a separator
(either by hyphen or underscore). Otherwise one has to maintain a
prefix code.
True for now, but I expect this sort of consideration to be less
important going forward, as we emphasize cn=config and deprecate
slapd.conf.

The same goes for all of this discussion. The cn=config attribute names use neither '-' nor '_'.

True, but they don't need special prefixes because their attributes are context-sensitive. I.e., their behavior is totally dependent on what config entry they appear in.

In any case, deprecating slapd.conf looks to be years in the future to
me.

Agreed, I'm talking long term, not overnight.

It's much easier to read and write (correctly:-) than cn=config,

I think that's only because we all have 10+ years experience with slapd.conf files. If you read the steps in openldap.ldif it's really not that hard to get used to the LDIF format.

and so are things like replacing an included schema version.

Not sure I agree with that... Considering that you can do it on the fly with cn=config, and you can also replace the individual schema.ldif files if you're working offline.

Though
you could take slapd.conf support out of slapd right now and instead
make a separate slapconf tool which translates it to cn=config.

No need to take that step.