Re: Always static link in OpenLDAP 2.1?

At 08:34 AM 2002-11-26, Albert Chin wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 07:59:02AM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

>> >Just out of curiosity: Is there a special reason to not link them
>> >dynamically?
>>
>> Yes.  Because library version numbers are incremented at most
>> once per release (in release branches, never in HEAD), those
>> who want to test release engineering code installed in a separate
>> directories from their production code can easily run into dynamic
>> library versioning problems that could invalid their testing or
>> worse.  Linking statically ensures those who test before putting
>> code into production are testing the code they think they are
>> testing.
>
>Then why don't...

I think in 2.0 (and less in 2.1), dynamic libraries were considered
experimental.  Now that we have had more operational experience
with them and the tools to generate them, it may be time to rework
things a bit to make it easier for folks to install tools linked
dynamically.

I've made an initial comment which only sets "-static" for CVS
builds.  Would likely be nice to extend this to support forced
"-static" as well as forced no "-static".

Anyways, check out latest HEAD.

Kurt