Always static link in OpenLDAP 2.1?

Hi,

I am running into trouble linking sasl libraries to OpenLDAP in the 2.1
tree. While analyzing the problem, I noticed that executables are always
being linked staticly in the 2.1 tree. Further investigation pointed
to following lines in build/top.mk

LTLINK   = $(LIBTOOL) --mode=link \
	$(CC) -static $(LT_CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $(LTFLAGS)

This effectively makes all executables static. Is this intentional? Removing
-static fixed my problem.

Incidentally, OpenLDAP TODO mentions a "Medium" project to "Update to latest
autoconf and friends". I can work on this. Does this only apply to autoconf
and libtool? Is it okay if I move redo the build using the latest automake
too.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan R