Re: User-defined attribute options (Was: Suggestion: attribute;search)

At 08:00 AM 2002-11-10, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>>At 04:52 AM 2002-11-09, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>>
>>> Besides, I just finished coding user-defined attribute options:  Since I
>>> thought I'd have to implement a new option anyway, I could just as well
>>> generalize.
>>
>> I suggest that each of these user-defined attribute options have
>> a common prefix (e.g, ";x-user").
>
>I like ;x-user-, but I don't agree that such names should be enforced.

Well, I'm thinking that a descrFamily- (RFC3383) should be
registered to handle this.  For example, "e-user-" or "e-u-".
Could even be "user-", but likely this would require some
form of technical specification to be written.

Tag options in this family would be arbitrary (defined by the user
without restriction).  One could support the concept of range
options could also be supports for the tag options.

Code wise, they could implemented simply by changing ad.c:
        } else if ( optlen >= sizeof("lang-")-1 &&
            strncasecmp( opt, "lang-", sizeof("lang-")-1 ) == 0 )
        {

to:
        } else if (( optlen >= sizeof("lang-")-1 &&
               strncasecmp( opt, "lang-", sizeof("lang-")-1 ) == 0 ) ||
            ( optlen >= sizeof("e-user-")-1 &&
              strncasecmp( opt, "e-user-", sizeof("e-user-")-1 ) == 0 ))
        {

and:
            if( nlang >= MAX_LANG_OPTIONS ) {
                *text = "too many language options";
                return rtn;
            }

to:
            if( nlang >= MAX_LANG_OPTIONS ) {
                *text = "too many tagging options";
                return rtn;
            }

That is, these options are just like language options, they
are both "tagging" options.  The code should treat them the
same.

>I've looked again at RFC2251, and all it says is
>
>   Options beginning with "x-" are reserved for private experiments.
>
>I think OpenLDAP should follow suit: Reserve a namespace for users, but
>don't enforce it.  If the user wants a shorter option name and is
>prepared to risk that OpenLDAP may use that option name in the future,
>that's his decision.

Actually, I think "e-user-" is best prefix for "user defined
tagging (and range) options".