Re: [ldapext] UTF-8 full support in LDIF / LDIF v2

Michael Ströder wrote:
but was under the impression
you saw value somewhere else.

I see some value. As I said my web2ldap accepts single-line UTF-8 input
in an LDIF editor multi-line input field but does not display UTF-8.

But if we run into more complicated issues like multi-line UTF-8 data
I'm against opening a can of worms with here document scheme or similar
complicated things.

So being able to read/write directly in UTF-8 in the LDIF file will eliminate one step in the process ? Can you give more details ?

Listing the case we have so far (please argument against if you think a case is not valid):

-comparing at the file level by humans, to fix an issue for example ; this imply that the user is using a display properly setup for UTF-8 (Yves Dorfsman).

-simplifying scripts to import/export data form/to other format to/from LDIF (Steven Legg. Steven).

-simplifying online editors (Michael Stöder).

Steven:
Can you confirm this is what you were saying, otherwise reword ?

Kurt:
My case was the case a) in you email. In my last email I argued that 1) that case has value 2) your argument against it, not being able to display UTF-8 properly, is solved in modern environment setup for UTF-8

Michael:
Can you give us more explanation of what the problem is in the case of your editor. Would it simplify programing the editor ? Is it impossible to allow UTF-8 in your editor today, and this change would allow it ?

--
Yves.
http://www.sollers.ca/