Re: [ldapext] groupOfEntries object class proposal

Ramsay, Ron wrote:
1) The ambiguity is a result of converting the concept to LDAP.

Granted, but the fact remains that it is unusable in LDAP.

2) I don't think you can use nameAndOptionalUID for naming, certainly
not in the 93 standard. So your comments about children are not really
appropriate. It's sole use may be in the groupOfUniqueNames object where
the UID is acting as a generational qualifier. To fully support it,
though, I think would require a UID attribute in the entry having that
DN. Oh yes, access control is supposed to use it, too. But the qualifier
applies to the DN itself and is making a statement about when THIS DN
was relevant.

It would require the entry to have an x500UniqueIdentifier attribute, yes. So far the only standards track schema that uses it is inetOrgPerson.

But you're pointing out a distinction without a difference. If the generational qualifier is significant, then it is significant in every context where that DN is referenced. E.g.
cn=bob,o=foo#1 exists
create cn=my stuff,cn=bob,o=foo

references to "cn=my stuff,cn=bob,o=foo" (and all children of cn=bob,o=foo) now depend on that qualifier. If we remove cn=bob,o=foo and come back at a later time and create him again, with his child entry
cn=bob,o=foo#10
cn=my stuff,cn=bob,o=foo

then there is no way to uniquely reference the "cn=my stuff" child object or distinguish it from the previous generation. You cannot separate the relevance of "THIS DN" from the uniqueness of its children. If the parent is unique then necessarily all of its children are also, but using the nameAndOptionalUID syntax doesn't allow this uniqueness to be expressed. The core concept here is flawed (yes, in the original X.500 usage as well).

The correct way to handle this is by including the generational qualifier in the entry's RDN (making it multivalued), and then you can reference it consistently no matter where you need to use it. There is no legitimate use for the nameAndOptionalUID syntax at all, in LDAP or X.500.

It's sad, really. They go to the trouble of designing a nice data model with consistent naming, then they go and intentionally break it...