From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@highlandsun.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 18 September 2007 9:59 AM
To: Neal-Joslin, Robert (HP-UX Lab R&D)
Cc: ldapext@ietf.org; Luke Howard; Andrew Findlay
Subject: Re: [ldapext] groupOfEntries object class proposal

Neal-Joslin, Robert (HP-UX Lab R&D) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm almost always in favor of new and better ways to do things.  And I
> agree with the statements submitted.  But I can see a need to play
> devil's advocate for this one.  Is there really enough justification
> warrant this proposal?  What is the likelihood of its success, given
how
> entrenched groupOfNames and groupOfUniqueNames is embedded in the
> existing LDAP application/server security space?

Ah, you've just hit another hot-button - groupOfUniqueNames is utterly
pointless. I'm all for eradicating the old stuff and pushing
groupOfEntries as
a standard.

nameAndOptionalUID syntax is inherently broken, it cannot be parsed
reliably.
e.g. - "cn=foo#101" could legitimately be a cn with value "foo#101",
there's
no way to disambiguate it from "cn=foo" with UID "101".

The entire concept behind this syntax is flawed. What do you do if you
have a
"unique" named object with children? What if the children have unique
names
too? There's only provision for one unique ID in the DN, but
fundamentally
there should be the possibility of a unique ID for every RDN in the DN.
I.e.,
if this is really what you want, you should have been using multivalued
RDNs
from the get-go.

Probably 99% of LDAP applications never even use the UID portion of a
nameAndOptionalUID attribute, and the other 1% that use it are broken
since
the syntax is inherently broken.

I'll happily write up a standards track document to deprecate
groupOfUniqueNames and nameAndOptionalUID syntax.

   -- Howard Chu