Re: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-incr-00.txt

At 04:15 PM 10/21/2004, David Boreham wrote:
>>It's my view that servers which are 'participating in
>>a multimaster replication mechanism' are not LDAP servers.
>>LDAP servers, aside from communicating using LDAP PDUs,
>>act in accordance with X.500.  While the servers you
>>refer might communicate using LDAP PDUs, they are not
>>acting in accordance with X.500 and hence, in my view,
>>are not LDAP servers.
>
>Can you cite (or quote) a section from X.500 that backs up this assertion ?

Though not definitive, you might also consider David
Chadwick's "Understand X.500"
  <http://www.isi.salford.ac.uk/staff/dwc/Version.Web/Contents.htm>.
It gives some rationale as to why the ITU selected the
(single) master copy scheme was for the Directory.  If
you want something definitive, I suggest you read X.525 and
sections of X.501 describing the DSA Model.