Re: [ldapext] VLV: absolute position of the list (negative offsets revisited)

> Backwards compatibility with early implementations is
> a minor factor in determining which technical approach
> should be taken.

You are three years too late to be talking like this.

> As far an example, I described an paging example in a previous post.
> You've dismissed this example as being beyond the scope of VLV.

Correct.

> Do you believe opposite, that is, operational experience with
> early implementations of VLV have shown that absolute positioning
> is not useful?

Again correct.

I had never thought of, not heard anyone suggest, the 'seek by DN'
feature you're asking for, until now. And as I say, I can't say that
it's totally useless. But I'm certainly not seeing the compelling value.

Here's a straw-person: someone implemets an address book
application which uses VLV to scroll around in a big list of
entries. They want to implement a 'bookmark in the list' UI feature
where the user can mark a specific entry, then later (perhaps
years later), they can zip right to that entry in the list again.

Hmm...I don't know---somehow I don't see that feature making
it past the usability folks. Can someone think of a _more_ useful
application of 'seek by DN' ?

I might be able to see some non-UI applications where VLV is
somehow used as part of a sync facility. But then we run into
more goals problems in that VLV isn't designed to be used as
a syncronization mechanism.