Re: [ldapext] VLV: absolute position of the list (negative offsets revisited)

At 12:23 PM 2002-09-26, David Boreham wrote:

>> An application which offers a paged interface to the use
>> can use this feature to offer direct navigation to the
>> Nth page (from the head of the list) even where the
>> current content count is unknown (or unstable)
>
>Note that it is a non-goal of VLV to implement
>the feature set of the simple paged results control,
>or to implement paging.

I obviously don't share your view as to the goal of
this work.

This WG was chartered to produce a standard track
specification "to allow a client to retrieve search
results one page at a time".  VLV was suggested as an
alternative approach to meet the WG meet this WG goal
and the WG has taken this approach to meet its goal.
However, the WG goal is unchanged.  It is still to
provide a standard mechanism "to allow a client to
retrieve search results one page at a time".

The simple paged results control was published as
Informational, not Standard Track, under the assumption
that VLV would obsolete it.

>It's designed to implement scrolling list views.

It also designed to support absolute positioning.  That
feature however is flawed in that it only allows positioning
from the head of the list.  This flaw is easily rectified.