Re: Matched values: valuesReturnFilter string representation

From:           	"Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>

> Section 5 says:
>  The string representation of the valuesReturnFilter in the examples
>  below uses the notation defined in RFC 2254 [11].
>
> However, as a valuesReturnFilter is a sequence of simple
> filters, the string representation of valuesReturnFilter is
> actually more like:
>
>  valuesReturnFilter = "(" 1*simplefilter ")"
>  simplefilter = "(" item ")"

Yes you are right

> where item is as defined by RFC2254.  I suggest the string
> representation should be specified in the I-D.

Do you mean repeating all the "item" BNF from 2254, or just
inserting the 2 lines above. I have assumed the latter and made that
change.

> Using the above BNF, all of the single item valueReturnFilter
> presented in the examples need to be wrapped by another set of
> parens, e.g:  ((attributeTypes=1.2.3.4.5))

agreed and done for version 5.

David

> One could define a BNF that for sequences of 1 simplefilter
> the outer parens were eliminated.  However, having the
> outer parens distinguishes valueReturnFilters from
> filters.
>
> Kurt

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J