Re: new internet draft - LDAP Extensions Style Guide

At 05:44 PM 8/15/2000 +0100, David Chadwick wrote:

one general and one specific comment regarding controls
On a general note, if the document is a style guide, it should give
people general guidelines on how to produce IDs, but should not
itself be defining new controls. i.e. the doc should only reference
existing controls and not be defining new ones such as deferRoles
and copySubtree. It should refer to other IDs in which these are
defined.

David,

Thanks for the comments...

This draft does not define new controls or extended operations. In some instances, in the absence of well written documents that create appropriate definitions, examples are given that use hypothetical controls, etc. In a future version, I will clarify that fact.

A specific point is, can you add the sentence "when defining a
control to be placed on an operation request, the specification must
clearly specify which controls (if any) are allowed to be placed in
the corresponding operation result"

Good idea.  I will include verbiage to that effect in the next revision.

David

> > Bruce

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
See my new Book on Internet Directories: http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html